Firstly, I want to acknowledge how rewarding it was to work with Brandon, Josh, and Taha. Everyone in the group was willing to do their fair share of the work, and we filled roles as needed. We were able to work through our ideas and arrive at a shared lesson plan, ensuring that everyone had a voice. This Math cohort is full of good people, which made the group work easy and enjoyable.
Regarding reflection, I believe that the best learning happens through failure, and this lesson certainly tests that belief. My part of the lesson didn’t go as well as I had hoped, and I’ve identified a few key areas for improvement.
Mistakes and Lessons Learned:
One of the biggest mistakes was trying to cover too much material. Although I’ve learned the value of keeping content focused, this was a step back. Our group attempted to balance a necessary review with new content, but the topic was already bulky. The main takeaway from this experience is to cover less and do it well. Moving forward, I will strive to internalize this principle more consistently.
Another realization came from how different teaching is compared to other types of presenting I’ve done in the past. I’m used to presenting to audiences already interested in the material, whether to sell an idea or present scientific findings. In those scenarios, the audience’s engagement is a given. However, in a classroom, there will be a range of attitudes: some students will be interested, others might be disengaged, and some may not want to be there at all. I’m under the impression that this will require me to rethink my approach and find ways to connect with all students, regardless of their initial level of interest.
There was also a moment during my presentation when I asked what I thought was a "low-hanging fruit" question, expecting a quick response. When I didn’t get the answer I had anticipated, I believed my surprise was too obvious. This highlighted the need to build resilience to unexpected situations. I need to be better prepared for these moments and maintain my composure. More practice and preparation in this regard.
Finally, I made a conscious effort to present factoring more visually and unconventionally, hoping to make the concept more relatable. Unfortunately, this approach didn’t receive the buy-in I was aiming for. While I won’t stop trying creative approaches, I’ll probably try to be more selective about when to use these methods. I want to ensure that I balance innovative strategies with approaches that will resonate with most students.
While this microteaching session was a stinker, it offered valuable lessons. I’m grateful for the opportunity to learn from these experiences, and I’ll continue to refine my approach as I move forward.







Great, thoughtful comments -- and as always seems to be the case (with everyone), you were much harder judging yourself than your peers were! Good to learn from both what went best and what didn't go the way you wished...we all have to go through these processes, frequently!
ReplyDelete