Going back through my blog posts, a recurring theme emerged: the tension between structured and exploratory teaching methods. Whether discussing microteaching sessions or reflecting on classroom observations, I consistently wrestled with balancing student curiosity and structured problem-solving. Even in lesson planning, I felt the pull of this tension. It’s become clear to me that different approaches resonate with different learners, making adaptability a crucial skill for any teacher.
Another notable theme, consistent with my 450 reflection, is my engagement with inclusivity and equity in education. Posts about classroom management, neurodiverse learners, and environmental and social justice principles have deepened my commitment to creating an equitable learning environment. These are areas I’m eager to continue exploring in semester two.
The microteaching assignments, particularly the Texas Hold’em session, stand out as significant learning moments. Figuring out how to teach something simple that I already knew well revealed just how challenging teaching can be. Navigating unfamiliar contexts, managing time, and adapting to unexpected hurdles showed me the importance of preparation. These experiences solidified my understanding that teaching is not just about knowledge but also about connecting with learners in meaningful ways.
One of the most intriguing topics we explored in this course was the concept of the flow state, those moments of intense focus and engagement when time seems to fade away. Writing about my own experiences with flow helped me recognize its transformative potential in learning. It’s difficult now to think about curriculum and teaching without considering how to create opportunities for students to experience flow in their own learning journeys.
Importantly, reflecting on problem-solving throughout this course has helped me appreciate its dual nature as both a content focus and a means of engaging students. I wrote about the frustration of being stuck and the strategies I’ve used to overcome those moments, such as breaking down problems, walking away for a fresh perspective, or focusing on inputs and outputs. I’ve also come to see curiosity as an essential part of problem-solving. Encouraging students to ask questions and explore different pathways not only enhances their critical thinking but also builds resilience. This shift in perspective has reframed my teaching philosophy, transforming the idea of being “stuck” or experiencing “failure” into opportunities for growth and new insights.
Finally, I personally loved having our lessons in the Orchard Garden. While I recognize that I might be in the minority, I found it invaluable to observe how the outdoor setting influenced learning opportunities. Being in this space also sparked a level of creativity in me that I’m not sure I could have reached indoors. There was something about the environment that touched a deeper, more intuitive part of my thinking.
Signing off!
No comments:
Post a Comment