Wednesday, November 13, 2024

November 18th - Entrance Slip: Flow


If you had told me I'd be discussing flow state in a college math course this year, I'd have checked your coffee for something stronger. But honestly, I couldn't love this any more than I do. Flow has been a theme in my life, primarily through mountain biking. It's that shift from being overwhelmed by rugged terrain (rocks, roots, awkward turns) to feeling like the terrain is talking to you. The mind goes quiet, movement is effortless, and it's almost like nature and my body are in sync. As the video pointed out, flow emerges when challenge and skill align, and for me, the added element of risk can elevate this even more. Similarly, I’ve felt flow as a programmer, though it’s a bit of a double-edged sword. I’m a experienced procrastinator, often turning ‘a month to think and a night to code’ into my creative process. The pressure of an impending deadline keeps me engaged and fends off boredom, pushing me into a high-risk, high-reward situation. Others see this approach as unhealthy, but I think it’s my brain seeking that dopamine hit from deep focus and creative output.

Reflecting on flow in a classroom setting is intriguing, especially after today’s activity, where I lost track of time. Creating these high-engagement moments could be key to making learning feel effortless. If students can reach that level of immersion, then learning becomes less about completing tasks and more about experiencing the content. Building classrooms that foster flow could make each day engaging and transformative for students. 

I also found the skill vs. challenge graph a powerful visualization, illustrating how the interplay between these two elements can lead to various mental states, from boredom to anxiety/worry or, ideally, flow. The model suggests that boredom arises when skills far exceed the task's challenge, resulting in disengagement, while anxiety surfaces when the challenge is too high for the current skill level, making the task feel too hard.

For me, this graph serves as a reminder to balance these elements in any activity carefully. It reflects why mountain biking brings me flow. Each trail presents just enough difficulty to match my skills without overwhelming me. Similarly, my programming flow emerges because the high stakes of a looming deadline push my skills to the limit, keeping boredom at bay and maximizing engagement.

In a classroom setting, this model reinforces the importance of designing tasks that offer just the right level of challenge. It suggests adjusting activities and support to keep students out of the boredom and anxiety zones, moving them toward flow. If students are challenged, they’re more likely to experience that timeless, fully immersed state. Furthermore, integrating physical and sensory input could be crucial in sustaining this type of engagement. Movement-based tasks, hands-on activities, or even tactile materials give students a more dynamic connection to the learning experience.

Finally, I started thinking about how neurodiverse students might experience a slightly different skill vs. challenge dynamic. There is so much to think about here, and maybe something that I’ll cover in my inquiry project.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this very thoughtful blog post, Andy! I am really interested to hear your developing ideas about flow and neurodiverse students -- something I think few people have considered at this point. Important work!

    ReplyDelete

Final Entry - Signing Off

Going back through my blog posts, a recurring theme emerged: the tension between structured and exploratory teaching methods. Whether discus...