Tuesday, November 19, 2024

Textbooks and how they position their readers - response

I found this article to be thought-provoking, though at times, dense and challenging to read. However, I appreciated how it positioned textbooks as objects with agency, actively shaping learning experiences rather than being neutral tools. This perspective challenged my previous assumption that textbooks are simply static resources, highlighting instead their power to influence educational outcomes and classroom relationships.

From a teacher's perspective, I found myself reflecting on and weighing the importance of the five questions that contextualized the article's framework. Of these, I placed the greatest importance on how textbooks position students in relation to mathematics and their peers.

  • Relation to Mathematics: I don’t think I would employ a textbook that portrays mathematics as rigid and/or impersonal. Ideally, it would be nice to find a textbook that helps students see themselves as creative participants. I like the idea of the hedging language proposed in the article that encourages exploration and the imperative language that encourages the reader to be a critical thinker.
  • Relation to Peers: I also placed great importance on and was drawn to how textbooks encourage (or fail to encourage) peer collaboration. I realized how important it is for textbooks to create opportunities for students to share ideas and discuss problems while building a class community. It’s clear that textbooks that foster isolation hinder learning and the social aspect of education, which, in my opinion, is becoming far more critical.

From a student perspective, I found most textbooks impersonal, often making the subject feel abstract and unrelated to the real world. I’m unsure I can think of a single example from high school where a textbook conveyed human effort behind mathematical discovery. Some of the books we reviewed in the last class conjured memories of small-font textbooks with dense explanations.

As much as I didn’t love textbooks, I developed a profound fondness for the accompanying workbooks. There was something very gratifying about churning through problems and having a completed workbook finished at the end of the year. Though, I realize this was a highly personal experience.

In conclusion, this reflection has reshaped how I think about textbooks and the possibility of selecting one for the classroom. Moving forward, I’ll prioritize not just the content of a textbook but also the subtle messages it conveys through its language, structure, and visuals. I’d choose a textbook that encourages a classroom full of creative and critical thinkers to interact in groups.

It probably goes without saying, but I’d also prioritize a textbook with an accompanying digital copy. Having the ability to use this copy as a data source to prepare lessons would greatly enhance efficiency. A digital copy could streamline the process of tailoring lessons, finding specific examples, and creating practice sets that align with curriculum targets and student needs. This flexibility would ensure that the material stays relevant and accessible, making it an invaluable tool for both teaching and learning.


2 comments:

  1. You mentioned valuing textbooks that encourage peer collaboration and creative participation in mathematics. How do you think these features can be incorporated into assessments or lesson planning to further reinforce these values?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Malihe! I'm still trying to formulate my own perspective on assessments, so I haven't settled on anything concrete yet. However, one assessment tenet I’m pretty settle on is focusing on evaluating the process rather than just "the answer." I think this approach better aligns with encouraging creative participation and critical thinking.

    In terms of lesson planning, I envision a lot of collaborative work. Ideally, the textbook or workbook would provide tasks that naturally lend themselves to group problem-solving and discussion. Tasks with real-world applications seem especially valuable in fostering collaboration because they often feel more relevant and engaging to students.

    ReplyDelete

Final Entry - Signing Off

Going back through my blog posts, a recurring theme emerged: the tension between structured and exploratory teaching methods. Whether discus...